Winners of The Sustainable Business Awards Indonesia 2017
Jakarta, 4th December 2017 – The winners of this year’s Sustainable Business Awards (SBA) Indonesia were announced last Monday in the presence of H.E. Bambang Brodjonegoro, Minister of National Development and Planning and attendees from Indonesian and international corporations, government officials and media at the Grand Hyatt Jakarta.
“The Awards are a combination of leadership, ethics and sustainability that have transparency, reliability, accuracy, and consistency at the heart of the assessment”, explained Shinta Kamdani, the President of IBCSD and Vice Chair Woman of KADIN. She added, “leadership is more than just having a vision, it is about how one communicates and influences people beyond the normal parameters of their daily lives and work to get them committed and on board”. Ethics are highly subjective because they come from both leadership and culture, however sustainability is more easily measured.
Marina Tusin, President Director of PwC Consulting Indonesia, said “It has been pleasantly heartwarming to witness various sustainability initiatives implemented in Indonesian companies given the environmental and social challenges we face today. It is our responsibility to applaud the progress made by companies moving towards sustainable businesses. The awards have been a great platform to showcase this progress and to recognise these companies.”
The Sustainable Business Awards run in partnership with PwC Indonesia, to recognize businesses that demonstrate leadership and proven commitment to sustainability through rigorous assessment on business practices. Applicants are scored against both processes and performance across the following 12 categories; Strategy and vision; Workforce; Community; Energy Management; Water Management; Waste & Material Productivity; Climate Change; Supply Chain; Land-use, Biodiversity and the Environment; Business Responsibility and Ethics, and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
“The recognition given to businesses for their sustainable efforts not only encourages
others to follow suit, but also provides an excellent resource to learn from best
practices. The rigorous process and prominence of the panel give the awards
unparalleled credibility and standing in Asia.” explains Tony Gourlay, CEO of Global
Initiatives, the awards organizer for the fifth year. Each contender completed a comprehensive interview, questionnaire and was scored against their corporate sustainability vision, and their environmental and social management strategies. Winners were chosen by an expert cross-industry panel including IBCSD, PwC and BAPPENAS (see full list below).
To learn about the awards criteria and methodology read more here.
FULL LIST OF 2017 WINNERS BY CATEGORY
Overall Winner of the Sustainable Business Awards: Holcim Indonesia
BEST IN CATEGORY AWARD (See detailed description here)
- Best Strategy & Sustainability Management – Holcim Indonesia
- Best Workforce – Nestlé Indonesia
- Best Community – United Tractors
- Best Energy Management – Asia Pulp and Paper (APP)
- Best Water Management – Chevron Indonesia
- Best Waste and Material Productivity – Holcim Indonesia
- Best Climate Change – Holcim Indonesia
- Best Supply Chain Management – H&M
- Best Land Use, Biodiversity, and Environment – Sinar Mas Agribusiness and Food
- Best Business Responsibility and Ethics – PT Vale Indonesia Tbk
- Best Stakeholder Engagement and Materiality – PT Astra International Tbk
- Best UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) –
- PT Unilever Indonesia Tbk
- PT Martina Berto Tbk
SPECIAL INDIVIDUAL RECOGNITION
- Best Flagship Initiative – PT Unilever Indonesia Tbk
- Best State Owned Enterprise – Pertamina
- Sustainable Agriculture and Conservation Practices – PT Branita Sandhini
- Energy Management – PT Sarihusada Generasi Mahardhika
- GHG Emission Reduction – Gunung Sewu
- Water Stewardship – Multi Bintang Indonesia
- Health Education – Bayer Indonesia
- Employee Engagement – PT Frisian Flag Indonesia
- Stakeholder Engagement – GREENHOPE – PT Harapan Interaksi Swadaya
- Energy Management – ISPAT INDO
- Biomass Energy Initiative – APRIL
Indonesia National Advisory Panel Members
Shinta Kamdani, President of IBCSD and Vice Chair Woman of KADIN Indonesia
Irhoan Tanudiredja, Senior Partner, PwC Indonesia
Erna Witoelar, Founder, Chairperson and Governing Board Member, KEHATI
Nina Sardjunani, Team Leader Secretariat of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), BAPPENAS
Tony Gourlay, CEO, Global Initiatives
About Global Initiatives:
Global Initiatives creates partnerships that address global challenges through film, international events and media projects. By sharing knowledge and best practices, and calling on all stakeholders to take action, we address some of the greatest challenges facing the world. International events include the Responsible Business Forums.